Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Why not Firebox 2 (from watchguard)? (my mistake.. but please read on)

From: Wong Chun Meng <cmwong () lestertech com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:04:30 +0800

I actually made a slight mistake on my post.. it was meant to be "why not
Firebox 2 (By watchguard)". I totally agree with jen in firebox 1. I
reviewed it last year at that time with other firewalls. But what about
firebox 2? Any improvements there at all?

But foremost, my question is why don't companies use black boxes if they are
afraid their admins don't know nix/NT's OS not for security appliance etc.
IF the firewall on these black boxes is as good as say Gauntlet/Firewall-1
(or application/filtering) with load balancing, failover, vpn etc wouldn't
these boxes be selling like hot cakes? The nix market might not suffer as
much as NT would (IMHO).

The input (I'm not getting much here) I'm asking from this group is, is
there any reason for the admin to have full scrutiny of the underlying OS
other than not trusting the vendor? I have to admit I myself want to have
some control for some tasks... but it's no biggie. Is there some task which
you absolutely need full OS control? Since mine is a small environment, my
scenario might differ from your daily admin task of larger networks. It
would be great to hear some stories :)

Wong.