Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

AW: Blocking Offensive Material(??) with Firewall

From: "Kunz, Peter" <Peter.Kunz () sisclear com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:31:14 +0200

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von:  Jason Olsen [SMTP:jolsen () dpg devry edu]
Gesendet am:  Mittwoch, 16. Juni 1999 15:40
An:   Di Phelan
Cc:   firewall-wizards () nfr net
Betreff:      Re: Blocking Offensive Material(??) with Firewall

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Di Phelan wrote:

It seems to me that there are two ways of content blocking - at the ISP
level with application level filtering using proxy servers and at the
BSP level with packet filtering using routers.

Checkpoint's FireWall-1 package has a 'hook' for 3rd-party software.  They
allow the insertion of anyi-virus software, as well as content filtering.
Basically, IIRC, you specify a package that has a list (updated daily) of
all the 'objectionable content' sites they're aware of.  If the Firewall
sees a request to one of these sites, or material returning from one of
them, it is dropped.  Bear in mind these things:

        [Kunz, Peter]  Basically, this is trivial. I'd liek to see soemthing
dropping a connection absed on the stream content. Any chance we'll ever see
something liek that? The FW rule being:Drop all malicious JAVA code.

3)Blocking isn't a pure science.  They may add something to their
black-list because it has the word 'cervix' or the like, when it's a
legitimate site talking about uterine cancer.  Who knows how in depth they
investigate before adding it to their list.

        [Kunz, Peter]  Yeah, look at the case of that Cyberwatch company
also bannign gays, lesbians, balck rights, etc. Big scandal that somehow
never got too public...

        [Kunz, Peter]  cu
        -pete