Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [eSafe Protect desktop experince]~Watch out 4 bugz

From: M Ghrist <tiamatzero () usa net>
Date: 15 Jun 99 08:39:47 EDT

"Mark Lemmo" <mlemmo () ens com> wrote:
Has anyone had any exposure to a desktop firewall type product called
eSafe Protect Desktop...

I was comparing the product to ConSeal and was wondering if anybody had >any
comments pro/cons etc...

Thanks

-Mark

I was using eSafe's free download two weeks ago. The interface is easy to use
and pretty to look at, and it's virus scanning abilities are par with what's
out there. But be careful how you configure it.
I found out the hard way that if you use a Windoze95 (probably '98 too)
box with MSNie's Active Desktop, and configure eSafe to it's highest security
settings, it will glitch the next time you startup your computer.
If eSafe is set to restrict *all* access to a computer, and prompt the user
for permission to use any programs or files, you will get a blue-screened
message the next time you turn on your computer asking for user permission to
access the startup programs.
The blue-screen prompts ID themselves as part of eSafe's firewall... and if
you can get past them to your desktop you'll discover that eSafe *now*
restricts all user access and treats normal activity as cracking attempts.
I couldn't even shut down my computer.
I guess if you wanted to get around this bug you could just reconfigure eSafe
every time you startup and shutdown, but I found it easier and faster to just
use McAfee's freebies instead.
Is ConSeal any good? I'd luv to know.

~M Ghrist