Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Client-side VPN solution firewalls

From: "Mark R. Jenkins" <marcus () ait saic com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:17:42 -0400

Are the vendors of client-side VPN solutions thinking about including local
firewall features in their products?

This seems like a natural fit since the VPNs are frequently being used to
create a secure tunnel back into a protected network, and an
Internet-attached host using the VPN thus becomes a weak point if it is not
itself protected from attack.

I have information on several 'personal' firewall products:

SyShield from Sybergen  <http://www.sybergen.com/>
ConSeal from Signal 9 <http://www.signal9.com/>
PC Secure from Software Builder's Int'l
<http://www.softwarebuilders.com/SBI_Mall/Info_PC_Secure.html>
Internet Firewall 2000/98 for Personal Computers <http://digitalrobotics.com/>

In addition, there are several 'Internet connection sharing' products such
as Wingate (from Deerfield.com <http://www.deerfield.com/>) which provide a
firewall-type solution in conjunction with NAT that could be used to
protect just a single host.

However, I haven't found VPN vendors directly addressing the issue of a
network penetration of the VPN client-side computers - am I missing
something?

Mark

 ----                            | My opinions aren't perforce SAIC's.
Mark Jenkins:Marcus () AIT SAIC COM | Sometimes you're the Louisville slugger,
Senior Network Systems Analyst   | sometimes you're the ball.
SAIC/AIT Annapolis 410.571.0438  | "For a good time telnet to 127.0.0.1"