Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: DMZ best practices

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:45:17 -0500 (EST)

Robert P. MacDonald (rmacdonald () perrigo com) wrote:
I have enjoyed the conversation about defining a DMZ, but
I need help with what the area between E1 and E2 is
called? How about between E2 and X?

Is this what is referred to as a double DMZ?
Setup A:

     IN <----> E1 <----> E2 <-----> X <---> CN
                         !
                         WS
Setup B:

     IN <----> E1 <-+--> E2 <-----> X <---> CN
                    !
                    WS

In C&B and C&Z, everything between E1 and X [I think, inclusive] is the
DMZ.

If we decide to go with the "evolved" definition of DMZ, as a
less-protected Nth leg of the firewall, I would not have any
suggestions as to what to call it.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-A/B