Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reverse Proxy on DMZ - 1 FW, 2 FW (disclaimer at end...)

From: "John Kozubik" <john_kozubik_dc () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:40:25 PST

Would you mind explaining this a little bit more? Are you talking
about
multiple firewall behind each other or about the "seperate network"
case
outlined below?

Although you could set this up many ways, I prefer a 'serial firewall'
environment (for some situations like this).  It is quite annoying to do
this with more than two firewalls though, because, as you mentioned, why
should all packets from the deep end go through 3,4, even 5 stacks to
get out.  It is not a huge deal in terms of performance if you are using
small amounts of bandwidth to the outside world (10-50 meg/s) and is not
even worth talking about if you are using a slow connection like a T1, 2
T1's, etc.  However, most will agree that setting up routing internally
to go through more than two firewalls is a bit annoying.  YMMV.

So that is what I was talking about in terms of multiple firewalls - in
this case you have your DMZ between the router and FW #1 - do what you
want with the DMZ, I guess.  Then you have a space between FW #1 and FW
#2 which would be a good place to put dirty machines like www, etc.,
then you have everything behind FW #2 which is where you put the
sensitive stuff.  This is a broad generalization.  It may not be
suitable for your network.

Hmmm... I don't see how my arguments would not hold in a scenario of
multiple firewalls. My latest project was one in which we used >several
firewall entities (from two to five, depends on one's definition) and

That's the point - your arguments _do_ hold, which is why you put in
multiple firewalls in some scenarios.  If your points were not valid, we
could just throw everything behind one firewall.

Sorry, but I have the strong tendency to seperate machines from each
other.
Each of those machines reselbles a different risk: The Web server
might be
broken because of some funny OS/Library/Web-Server interaction (1).
The mail
server because of some buffer overflow. I can't put them on the same
network
because I have to know if one behaves "different". If a chain breaks
at the
weakest link, just don't use a chain. Right?

Right - here is the scenario I am describing - you have a serial
firewall setup like I talked about above, and you just move the part
between FW #1 and FW #2 to a completely different network.  Obviously if
you are not comfortable putting them all together between FW1 and FW2,
then you shouldn't be doing that in the first place.  What I am saying
is that if you use a serial firewall setup - with 2, 3, 4, 5, 20
firewalls, remember that you also have the opportunity to take any one
of those segments and just move it to another building with another ISP
and give it a single firewall for itself.  Presumably the machines
quarantined in each of those segments can be safely placed together on
one network, otherwise, what are they doing in the same segment in the
first place?

I agree that we _should_ be seperating machines - I think we agree more
than you think - because placing things on totally seperate networks
like this is about as seperate as it gets.  Certainly if you are not
comfortable having mail and www together in a segment, then you
shouldn't put them together at a seperate location.  In some cases, you
can be confident putting them together (or sometimes you have to) so
this is just another alternative to placing in another serial firewall
(or a dirty segment off of a third nic, whatever).

Disclaimer:

I think it is important to point out that the best security practice for
a particular environment is not necessarily the accepted, published,
agreed upon format.  It is conceivable that one could build a secure
network without a firewall.  It is conceivable that one could securely
place mail, www, and sensitive machines inside a single firewall.  Then
again, it is conceivable that the best security for _your_ application
is having 10 firewalls all in a line. Or maybe a few firewalls with 5
NICs each.  Or maybe split those segments up into 20 new physical
networks in different locations that do not even recognize each other.

Most likely the above is not the case.  Most likely you _do_ need a
firewall, you do need to quarantine machines, and you don't have the
resources to place 10 seperate networks in 10 different geographical
locations on different networks.  In these cases you can learn a lot
from the _accepted_ work in the field.  Just _don't forget_ that when I
write this email, I have _no_ clue what your network is like and what it
is doing.  When people respond to this email, they also have _no clue_.
We can offer only broad generalizations and speculation.

Please do not mistake these broad generalizations and wanderings to
obscure eventualities to mean that I think these are the best practices,
etc. _in general_ ...  I have done all of these things, and just like to
throw out my experience as ideas - even when it conflicts with the
'accepted' material, or how you run your network.  Make a security
system that protects your network best - nothing less, and if that means
doing things strangely, so be it - just post to the list when you do,
because I _like_ to hear about new and strange ways of doing things - it
increases my mental toolset.  If someone sets up a secure network
_without_ a firewall, I WANT to hear about it, even though it conflicts
with the books I read and the trade journals I subscribe to.  If someone
knows a way to quarantine different blocks using serial firewalls, or
some other method, I want to hear about it even though it is not
something I would do on my network.

I didn't make up these ideas, I learned them the same way - someone
talked about an obscure application they did that had no bearing
whatsoever on my current projects, and went against the philosophy I was
using on my network at the time.  Later, however, I found an assignment
that called for these ideas, and was glad to have them.

kozubik - John Kozubik - john_kozubik () hotmail com
PGP DSS: 0EB8 4D07 D4D5 0C28 63FE  AD87 520F 57BE 850B E4C4