Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICSA

From: Richard Reiner <rreiner () fscinternet com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:56:57 -0500

Bennett Todd wrote:

An archive search should pull up protracted, vitriolic debates on their
certification process; PLEASE, folks review those threads before reopening at
least that facet of this debate once again.

Yes indeed; let us not hash over the failings of ICSA's certification
process again -- they are probably quite well known to the majority of this
readership.

However, ICSA's ridiculous "certification" process was not the main thrust
of my post.  The main thrust was ICSA's marketing method, namely what
appears to be their willingness to foster the mistaken view that they are
things which they are not, viz. a non-profit entity, an entity acting in
the public interest, an impartial entity, an industry association of some
type, etc.

They are none of these things, yet they are apparently intent on being
perceived as all of them.  This, I think, is a very bad thing, and one
which threatens both the end-users and the providers of quality security
products and services in myriad ways.

We must somehow counter ICSA's well-funded marketing machine and get the
message out to the end-users of security products and services, before the
bulk of their security resources are diverted towards something worthless.

Journalists, if you are out there: here is a scandal for you!

DISCLAIMER: the above constitutes my personal, idiosyncratic, foolish,
biased, stupid (add more adjectives as necessary to satisfy the lawyers)
opinion ONLY.  It does not represent the views of FSC Internet Corp. or of
SecureXpert Labs, nor of the officers or management of those organizations,
nor of any individual save myself.
--
. Richard Reiner, Ph.D., CEO
. FSC Internet Corp. / SecureXpert Labs