Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Session hijacking, source-routes

From: "Ryan Russell" <Ryan.Russell () sybase com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:08:15 -0800

Can a TCP session be hijacked if the target system rejects
source-routed IP packets?

Sure.

If I understand the process correctly, the attacker quells the
legitimate client with a DOS attack

Yes.

and gets the server to
route the packets to himself instead

Not neccessarily.

after having observed the
proper sequence numbers to use.

Traffic has to already be coming his way to get the sequence
numbers, usually.

If my f/w rejects all source-routed packets, are its connections
immune to session hijacking,

No.  The attacker could already be "in" the network
path, and not have a need to re-route packets.

The packets that really would need to be source-routed
for a hijack would be the other end (your packets.)  In
general, the atacker can send packets from wherever
he likes, and has no need to source-route his packets.

Source-routing is most useful in current attacks to
reach otherwise unreachable networks across
the Internet (say, someone's internal 10.x.x.x network.)
Dropping source-routed packets, as well as implementing
anti-spoofing measures help with this.

                         Ryan