Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: UDP Port 137 - Now TCP 143

From: John Ladwig <jladwig () nts umn edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:15:58 -0600 (CST)

On firewall-wizards jburgess () railtex com wrote:
[...] Does anyone know why
would someone/something be hitting TCP port 143?

That's IMAP (v2 and I believe v1 as well).  I suppose that if it
wasn't filtered out, someone might get somebody else's mail that
way, though the appropriate password should be needed.

I suppose it *could* be a laptop normally on your network on
holiday in .do, but if that is not the case (maybe you don't
even use IMAP?) then yes, someone is probably trying to sound
out your weaknesses...  Do run-of-the-mill crackers try to read
mail before having managed to crack the system?

Not in my experience.

They do, however, flock to remote-user-gains-root vulnerabilies with
widely circulated script-kiddie-capable t00lz/sploitz like red
squirrels to sugaring bags.

The standard probe 'round these parts is:
 - TELNET (Irix no-password accounts like lp and guest)
 - POP3 (stack-smashable qpopper variants)
 - HTTP (various shell-meta-character exploitable CGI scripts)
 - IMAP (remote buffer overrun)
 - DNS (remote BIND iquery sploit)

and frequently 635/tcp (Linux overrunable rpc.mountd).

Check the AUSCERT/CERT archives for mscan or sscan, as well as any
vendors/apps listed above.

    -jml    *'tis nearly the season, even here.  Damn their oily hides*