Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Response to door knocking

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 99 11:06:31

--- On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:00:02 +0100  Damir Rajnovic
<Damir.Rajnovic () eurocert net> wrote:

Hello there,

At 3:35 +0100 3/2/99, Robert Graham wrote:
other sites. Thus, if I don't take "reasonable" measures against
hackers, I can be sued. Consider a scenario where an unknown hacker
broke into my site, then used it as a stepping stone to attack VICTIM.
Now, the hacker remains unknown and the VICTIM is suing me. Gosh,
wound't it have been nice to have gathered additional information that
my forensics team and the police could have used to track down the
hacker?

If someone was using your machine without your knowledge you should
be innocent.

This is far from my understanding of current US law.  If you are the
"intermediate victim" of a relay attack, it is my understanding that you
may be both civilly and criminally liable in the US.

Can someone cite the relevent statute here?  I don't have it handy.

--john
Name: John McDermott
VOICE: +1 505/377-6293 FAX +1 505/377-6313
E-mail: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Writer and Computer Consultant