Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ, defined.

From: carson () tla org
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:08:59 -0500 (EST)

"Fred" == Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com> writes:

Fred> DMZ is a defined term. It is not a matter of opinion. One can say that
Fred> because it is defined, it is not something one can hold an opinion on. (I
Fred> know that don't teach absolute truths in university today, but there you
Fred> have it.) Read smb's post or the papers to *know* what a DMZ is. Firewall
Fred> is also a well defined term.

Personally, I still think that service network is a usefull term for
describing a 3rd leg off of a firewall. Now, I won't say that folks
can't _also_ call it a DMZ, just that a more specific term can help
communicate more effectively. Something can be both a bird and an
eagle.

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson () cs columbia edu carson () tla org carson () cugc org
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html