Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SecurID Agent-Server through proxy firewall

From: Vin McLellan <vin () shore net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:13:04 -0500

        Martin Bishop <martybishop () yahoo com> queried the Listocracy:

A customer of mine is planning to launch a public web server for
online electronic commerce. The system is already built and already in
use internally for three months now so it has been adequately tested
before external users start using it. Users are all authenticated with
SecurID tokens, which is implemented with a SecurID Agent running on
the web server. The web server and ACE servers are at the moment in
the same (internal) subnet without even a router between them and all
works fine.

Now, as we go public, we will move the web server from internal
network to a DMZ (if you will -:). We have already decided to use an
application gateway firewall and that the web server will reside on
its third network interface.

[... snip ...]

While testing, we successfully managed to move the web server to the
desired location (3rd interface), but we are having serious problems
with SecurID authentication that we can't seem to solve.

        I think the interaction between the ACE/Client (embedded in your
web server) and the ACE/Server is probably being tangled up because your
firewall is "translating" and changing the IP address of ACE/Client.

        The ACE protocol -- which manages the client/server exchange for
the authentication query and the ACE/Server's response -- continuously
authenticates the parties to the c/s interaction by including in the
exchange a MAC (which is calculated from, among other things, the IP
address of the ACE/Client which initiates the request for the user
authentication service.)

        What I suspect is happening is that your ACE/Client (in the web
server) is calculating the MAC with its own IP address, while the
ACE/Server tries to re-calculate and confirm the same MAC with what _it_
sees as the requesting client's address.

        Unfortunately, if your firewall or a switch has been translating IP
addresses in the middle of the exchange, the MAC values do not match.

        The ACE/Server sees the specific SecurID authentication as OK, but
the Server is forced to invalidate the authentication call because it can
not guarantee the integrity of the ACE client/server interaction.

        Can you set up your firewall so that it does not do an address
translation for the interaction between the webserver and the ACE/Server?
That is the easiest solution, if it is possible.

        If you can't do that, there are some other technical options, but
they may involve tradeoffs that you should discuss privately with your SDTI
Sales Support Engineer (SSE).

                                Suerte,

                                        _Vin

The problem is that, the _first_ SecurID authentication works fine but
all subsequent authentication attempts fail. If we want it to work
again, we have to remove the "securid" file from the web server
(actually from the ACE agent) and uncheck "Secret Already Sent" (or
something similar) on the ACE server. When we do this, the next
authentication attempt will succeed, but again the subsequent ones
will fail.

Another interesting thing is that all these subsequent authentication
attempts that the ACE Agent sees as unsuccessful (and tells that to
our web application) are described as SUCCESSFUL in ACE server logs.
So it would be logical to conclude that somehow the response from ACE
server is either changed (probably by the firewall generic proxy) or
misinterpreted by the ACE Agent for some reason.
Furthermore, due to the fact that ACE Agent and Server exchange the
"secret" value along with the first authentication attempt it could be
that this value (that is used for encrypting subsequent auth.
requestst) is somehow corrupted.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough insight into the SecurID
Agent-Server communication protocol to figure out how to solve this
problem but I'm sure that we're not the first ones who would want to
set up a system like that. So if any of you know any answers, your
suggestions will be highly appreciated. If you reply to the list,
_please_ reply to me personally also.

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Marty Bishop

-----
"Cryptography is like literacy in the Dark Ages. Infinitely potent, for
good and ill... yet basically an intellectual construct, an idea, which by
its nature will resist efforts to restrict it to bureaucrats and others who
deem only themselves worthy of such Privilege."
_ A Thinking Man's Creed for Crypto  _vbm.

 *     Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin () shore net>    *
      53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548