Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: war dialers, are they a current threat?

From: jboles () libfungrp com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:21:01 -0600

For what my 2 cents is worth, we operate in a small city of 120,000 pop,
with a university of 20,000 (and not a terribly sophisticated CS program,
main strengths of university are agriculture and engineering).  About two
months ago, someone came through our shop with a war dialer, hit most of the
lines, including a few ras lines.  Took some interest in the RAS lines.  No
real intelligence to it, nowhere for him/her to go anyhow.  Didn't pay too
much attention to him/her, since dialing into lines with fairly secure
authentication.

Amused to see somebody war dialing in a relatively small pop like this
though -- evidently some script kiddies taking some interest in old tools
again.