Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX sux? (was Re: Start watching your logfiles folks!)

From: Predrag Zivic <pzivic () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:27:45 -0800 (PST)

Well,
--- Ryan Russell <Ryan.Russell () sybase com> wrote:

Since PIX is a network level firewall, there are
quite
a few OSI levels that can be used to attack you...

...The PIX can't really touch layer 1, is that what
you meant?

Although your site is under attack PIX will not
report
any errors or stop the unauthorized activity.

My FW-1 firewall (which is the same basic technology
as the PIX) reports on and protects from quite
a few things.

All I am trying to say here is that both FW-1 & PIX
will not be able to catch application layer attacks. I
don't question the "firewalling" capabilities of FW-1
& PIX or would like to start a discussion on statefull
vs. proxy.
One would think about application level attacks and
bring a different type of technology to
support/compliment firewalls. Firewalls (PIX & FW-1)
will neither help in all situations nor are a total
solution for all Internet based attacks.

Pez

P.S. One would think about the mail viruses (maybe
even better, trojans) that travel over the Internet,
although we have firewalls...