Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Biometric Authentication Resources?

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:27:24 -0500

At 04:19 PM 12/13/99 -0600, Tobia,Paul wrote:
I was wondering if anyone can point me towards some reputable resources on
biometric authetication?

ICSA has a biometrics consortium. (http://www.icsa.net/). Self promotion, but it might also help YOU :-) -- I wrote a piece for network computing to accompany their recent buyer's guide. It is at http://www.networkcomputing.com/1017/1017buyers2.html. I also wrote something for Network World a year before that touches on biometrics some. See http://www.avolio.com/Identconf.html.

I pulled this from a sidebar I provided for the NWC article:

BioBodies: Biometric Industry Organizations The non-profit Association for Biometrics (www.afb.org. uk) promotes the awareness, development and deployment of biometric-related technologies.

The Biometric Consortium (BIOM CONS) is the U.S. government's focal point for research, development, testing, evaluation and application of biometric-based personal identification/ verification technology (www.biometrics.org/).

The BioAPI Consortium, introduced on April 27, 1998, was formed to develop a widely available and accepted API that will serve various biometric technologies (www.bioapi.org/).

The ICSA has founded the CBDC (Commercial Biometric Developer Consortium, www.icsa. net/services/consortia/ cbdc). This cooperative industry group is designed to define and advance the common goals of the biometric vendor and integrator community.

The National Biometric Test Center (NBTC) is at San Jose State University. The Biometric Consortium established the NBTC in 1997 as a testing, learning and educational organization dedicated to the development, documentation, dissemination, promotion and teaching of performance standards and testing protocols for biometric technologies (www-engr.sjsu.edu/~graduate/biometrics/).

Fred
Avolio Consulting
16228 Frederick Road, PO Box 609, Lisbon, MD 21765, US
+1 410-309-6910 (voice) +1 410-309-6911 (fax)
http://www.avolio.com/