Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: POP3 and SMTP slow on Linux since we installed a PIX

From: Siglite <siglite () criticalstop com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:07:56 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, by dropping instead of rejecting ident requests.  Dropping them
generally causes the pop3 and sendmail daemons to wait on ident timeout.
If you reject them at the firewall, (this is particularly applicable when
using NAT) the daemons stop waiting for the ident packets to come back,
and immediately allow the connection.  The other option is to configure
sendmail and pop3 to not wait on the idents.

/* I live with FEAR every day.       */
/* But, sometimes, she lets me RACE. */

KT Morgan
Network Engineer