Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NT Log Files

From: Henry Sieff <hsieff () orthodon com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:28:35 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Brenton [mailto:cbrenton () sover net]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 1999 2:10 PM
To: Buckley, Neil
Cc: firewall-wizards () nfr net
Subject: Re: NT Log Files

"Buckley, Neil" wrote:

A while back there was a thread started by MJR, I believe,
that included
discussion of NT log files and the possible ways to monitor them.  I
searched the archive for info, but was unable to locate the
thread.  If
anyone has any info on how this might be done, or pointers
to any technical
data that they could send me that would be great.

Funny you should ask, I just finished working on a SANS Webcast that
will touch on that very subject. ;)

You have a couple of options, First you could grab a copy of
dumpel.exe
from the NT Resource kit (it may even be up on the MS web site).
Something like:
dumpel -L security -f security.txt -s SERVER1 -c

will grab a copy of the EV security log from the server named SERVER1
and dump it in comma delimited format to security.txt. You can then
import the file to your favorite spreadsheet or database program.

If you are focused on logon/logoff information, check out:
http://www.ntobjectives.com

JD has a command line and a GUI tool (not sure if the GUI is released
yet) for extracting logon information from the log. Cools stuff, very
efficient.

I also hear he's working on a syslogd type of process which
will let you
export the logs in native format to a logging server. Not sure if its
done yet or not.

Must be somethin in the air, because I have just started working on
a log management system for my NT network. The O'Reily book is great, and
has some excellent code sample for accessing the event log functions
in advapi32.dll. If you want a premade solution, aelita makes a cool one:
http://www.aelita.com and look for eventadmin.  This allows you to sechedule
log collection: the logs are collected into an Access.mdb- however, it is
pricey and (imho) does TOO much of the thinking for you.

Dumpel will convert to text, but you have to then get the text into a
database
format, which is not as east as it should be.  Having eveything done as
syslog is
possible, and may be the best solution.

http://www.addison.com and http://www.heysoft.com also have some useful
util's.

--
Henry Sieff
Netwerküberkommander

Cheers,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782120822/geekspeaknet
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782123430/geekspeaknet