Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW: Web server route lost

From: Matt Dunn <matt () electrocentric com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:17:16 -0400

Those of you more knowledgable about FW-1 on NT can feel free to correct
me, but the first thing I'd check is the NIC and the associated drivers.
The fact that you couldn't ping that network from the firewall machine
shouldn't have anything to do with FW-1, unless it's blocking local source
packets, which I've never seen it do (in my admittedly limited experience).
I have, however, seen NT (and other i386 based operating systems)
inexplicably drop a network interface and give no indication that it has
done so aside from the errors that are caused by its absence.

Some questions to ask yourself:
Have any changes been made to the hardware/drivers recently?
Have any Service Packs or other system/hardware patches been done recently?

If someone else has an idea of why FW-1 might be causing this, I'd defer to
that advice first, since it's generally easier to play with application
settings than it is to grab a screwdriver for a production machine, but
given the information I have, that'd be my course of action.

Hope this helps,

-Matt