Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: emaiwald () shell fred net
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 98 13:16:41 EDT

Marcus wrote:
Bill wrote:
What are the opinions on the thoroughness of shrinkwrap software
penetration testing?  Is today's shrinkware more capable for penetration
testing (a single machine) than a human?

I guess it depends on the human! :)

No argument there.

Can a program do a better job of testing than a lame, clueless
human? Sure! Can a program do a better job of testing than a
fairly experienced security guru? No. Can a program do a better
job of testing than an 3ll33t? No.

By extension, I'd assume that someone was a lamer if they were
using shrinkwrap. I'd assume they were bringing no native
expertise to the table, and I'd only pay them "shop time"
rates (e.g.: about $25/hr) instead of consultant rates
(you pay consultants for expertise not their ability to
click 'go').

Hold on one second.  The use of automated tools may be more
time effective than using in house developed tools (why reinvent
the wheel?)  I will agree that using ONLY the tools is not
helpful but the tools can provide the initial info to begin
probing for a penetration.

One of the problems with shrinkwrap is that it's not a whole
lot faster and it can overlook really stupid stuff that a
human would detect in a heartbeat. For example, what about the
customer who has a telnet listener on port 25 behind a screening
router? The shrinkwrap will try to do DEBUG and WIZ on it but
won't try to log in as root.

Again, no disagreement.  However, the fact is that most clients
are not going to pay for an experienced person to test every
single machine or access point on their nets by hand.  As with
everything else, there are tradeoffs.  You tried to provide the
best service to the client for the best price.

In most cases, this is a combination of automated tools and
human expertise targeted at juicy looking access points.

Eric
--
Eric Maiwald, CISSP                                 emaiwald () fred net
Director Security Services                               301-977-6966