Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:48:41 -0400

On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 11:24:31PM +0200, Kevin Steves wrote:
| On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
|: 2 years ago
|: I offered a bounty of $2,000 for *PROOF* that there is a
|: deliberate trapdoor in FW-1 -- nobody has ever come forward
|: (though Adam Shostack tried to argue that some of the features
|: of their secure remote management are so clueless as to
|: constitute a backdoor) :)
|
| I remember the bounty, but I guess I missed Adam's arguments (in fact I
| recall it being a thread stopper :).  What kind of cluelessness are we
| talking about?

        I suggested that the use of a 48 bit, unpublished cryptosystem
was sufficiently backdoor-esque and provable that MJR should send me a
check.  It was done with tounge firmly planted in cheek (although I
probably pushed hard for the money; its the principle of winning a
challenge from Marcus, more than a belief that it was a backdoor. :)

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume