Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SUN RPC portmapper

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:22:45 -0400

In message <doug-980922081600.A2311682 () netman eng auburn edu>, Doug Hughes writ
es:

Does anyone know a range of TCP  ports the the SUN RPC portmapper uses which
given a request through UDP port 111?
jsadofsky () metropo mccneb edu

There really isn't as far as I know. Some services are relatively fixed
(e.g. NFS - 2049, network lock manager 4045), but the rest are mostly
randomly assigned at ports above 32768. When your server registers with
rpcbind/portmap, portmap assigns it a port. Then, when a client requests
an RPC service, it contacts portmap/rpcbind to resolve the RPC number
to a port and protocol (udp,tcp,tli, whatever)

It's been a few years since I looked at the code, but as I recall applications
bind to their own ports and simply notify the portmapper what they're using.