Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: password aging

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:58:42 -0400 (EDT)

This is true.  It's also "standard" practice...One of the goals of my group
is to _reduce_ the number of calls
to the help-desk.  Please keep in mind that this is only a _proposed_
change, and it hasn't been approvee yet.

If reducing calls is a goal, why increase them by not telling the user
why the password is rejected?  ;-)

Scalability is an issue.  We're talking about (at least) a 128 bit
keyspace.

The ARGUMENT doesn't scale perfectly.  Analogies rarely do.  I believe
that a system-wide old-password database is still not the wisest
choice.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B