Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:26:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, John McDermott wrote:

I beg to differ with your differing :-).  The issue in firewall
verification is not pass/block verification.  IMHO that is stateless filter
verification (e.g. as for a router).

Meaningful firewall verification (again IMHO) requires that each
proxy/stateful inspector be proven to allow only correct operation of the
protocol for which it is proxying.  If a firewall is proxying, say, HTTP,
the verification must show that there are no buffer overflows, for example,
in the proxy and that the proxy is not performing any illegal operation
which could impact the integrity of the firewall or the allegedly protected
computers.  This is probably "difficult".

HTTP is an open-ended protocol specification with some _limitless_ size
specifications, I submit that it is beyond "difficult" to verify correct
functionality of a layer 5 transport protocol.  Testing just buffer
overflows on limitless length objects would seem to be less than an ideal
situation.  Proxies are much easier to verify than stateful filters under
the same circumstances, but once again, the source code is probably going
to give you a much higher level of assurance that oversized objects are
correctly handled unless you don't go look at the souce to the library
routines as well, in which case you can either do that, or accept a lower
level of assurance by banging against the calls with a substantial set of
test data.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280