Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: GXD vs. SPF

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 13:02:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Hines Dennis wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I still fail to see the security stance of
someone who allows more than about four protocols.  Tunneling over SMTP,
HTTP, and DNS are pretty difficult to detect as is, but at least most of
it's trendable with statistics from common gateways.  How the heck do you
figure out a tunnel over half a gazillion protocols and still feel a
measure of protection?  Was I asleep in that part of the sales pitch?

Could someone fill me in a bit on the risks of tunneling over SMTP, HTTP,
etc.  What are the capabilities of this sort of attack?  How is it
accomplished (in general terms).

For the simplest tunneling,

Trojan, or exploit a client to run code that will open a raw socket, take
the packets off the wire, encapsulate them in (SMTP, HTTP, DNS, ping...)
and send them out.  Decapsulte inbound packets and put them on the wire.
Now you've got a broad tunnel in and out of the network, you can place
the attacking machine on the network virtually, and attack away.

Someone a while back (sorry, I forget the direct attribution it was many
years ago) did telnet over SMTP this way, using uuencode on the packets.
Latency wasn't great, but the MTU was _huge_.  Since most sites allow
SMTP, and don't track or have a way to automatically shut off specific
mail destinations based on volumes, coopt one internal machine any way
you choose (new copy of Eudora anyone?), and you've got telnet to an
internal host, and access to anything it can reach.

Java applets, and the propensity to load any new "cool" application from
the Internet seem to make this even easier if the site is one which has a
packet filtering firewall that lets anything TCP related out so long as a
client starts the conversation (this is the *default* installation for
most of those vendors I've seen installing FW-1).

RealAudio, Pointcast, and a few others have written their protocols to
tunnel over HTTP simply because a number of us won't open more holes in
our firewalls, OpenBSD will install via HTTP through a proxy server.
There's nothing stopping attackers from using that mechanism to their
advantage.  This is where I think Marcus' trending an analysis in NFR,
and a couple of sniffer vendors have hit the target.  Unfortunately,
encryption is coming to the networks, and that makes detailed traffic
analysis impossible.  It's on reason I still don't allow SSL.

As always, your paranoia may vary.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280