Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: An ethernet frame with two IP packets inside?

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 22:30:15 -0800

I can't actually think of any way to get two IP packets inside
a single Ethernet frame... custom crafted or not.

Certainly an Ethernet frame doesn't care what it's data
portion is...  It simply says here's my Ethertype, and I
have this many bytes.

This gets passed to an IP stack... IP stack wants to see an
IP header... IP header says how many bytes there are.
Even if there were a second IP header after the first
IP "packet" I don't think any IP stacks will get that far.
I'm pretty sure they will all either consider it a corrupt
single packet, or just dump the rest of the bytes.

I could be wrong.

Could such a beast be created, then two packets might make it through
some type of packet filter and into an behind the PF.

Sounds like it would fun to try, though.

                              Ryan

Keller <keller () wiesbaden netsurf de> on 10/23/98 04:51:39 PM

Please respond to Keller <keller () wiesbaden netsurf de>