Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Switching between FW Segs Still a NOT?

From: "Kleber Borran" <tell_me_elm () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:53:58 PDT

There was some discussion of this issue back in August, but it's come
around to me in real life now and I'm checking.

The company has an Internet firewall with multiple interfaces supporting
a couple of DMZs as well as the usual inside network and outside
connection to an ISP.  The question has arisen as to whether it is
advisable to use a high-end switch acquired through an acquisition to
provide connectivity to "both sides" (actually "all sides") of the
various segments.  Vendor sales rep says its ok as long as we define the
VLANs properly.  That was debunked quickly here in August.  Anybody know
of any white papers or other literature dealing with this subject that I
could show management?

Thanks,

tell_me_elm () hotmail com