Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: future of IDS

From: Bennett Todd <bet () mordor net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:38:23 -0400

1998-10-16-22:55:20 Martin W Freiss:
Bennett Todd:
My own prediction is that we're going to see a strong trend towards a new
archicture (supposedly available or at least under development for the
commercial NFR, at least), where the IDS is partitioned into capture and
analysis engines, and the capture engine is designed to be replicated over as
many hosts as needed.

... where the capture engine is in the firmware of the switch (hey, free
product idea for the rest of you :-)). Tough for statistical analysis,
should be doable for more signature based IDSes.

Well, no, that's not what I was thinking; last place I worked closely with
switches, we were consolidating from 7 switches with 72 or more ports each,
many with 12 ports of 100baseT, and ISL interconnecting, up to one much bigger
switch with dual everythings. Either way, you've got a bandwidth problem: a
switch carries more traffic than can be logged or analyzed.

Whereas seach individual host does not carry so much, so the thing to do is to
distribute the first level of analysis out, so that only a condensed stream
needs to be brought back to the central management and analysis station.

-Bennett