Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

IDS BOF at N+I

From: David Newman <dnewman () data com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:20:04 -0400

For those of you lucky (?) enough to be attending Networld+Interop in
Atlanta next week, please note that there will be birds-of-a-feather
session on intrusion detection systems co-moderated by Marcus Ranum of
Network Flight Recorder and myself.

The session will be held Wednesday, 21 October, from 6 to 8 p.m. EDT in
in the Georgia World Congress Center, Level Two West, Room 261 W. I've
attached the N+I session description below.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,
David Newman
Data Communications magazine

Intrusion Detection Systems: Suspicious Finds
Room 261W
Recent tests of intrusion detection systems (IDSs) show these products
really do identify attacks--at least on quiet networks. But throw enough
traffic at a segment, and IDSs start missing attacks. This session will
explore how powerful an IDS needs to be, and what features are missing
from
current products. Moderators: David Newman, Data Communications magazine
<dnewman () data com> and Marcus J. Ranum, Network Flight Recorder Inc.
<mjr () nfr net>