Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Bug in FW-1 ?

From: Riccardo Fontana <rfontana () seclab com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 16:44:31 +0200

I don't know if this is really a bug of Firewall-1 (Checkpoint), and I
don't know if it can create any security problem; I only know that it
mede me fool.

I have installed NT 4.0 with SP3 (and some hotfixes) on a HP Kayak XA
with 2 ethernet adapter: an AMD Pcnet and a HP Netserver 10/100 Lan
Adapter (recognized by NT as a Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B); I know that
FW-1 use the first adapter shown with IPCONFIG as the external one so I
have configured the AMDPCN1 with the external addr. and the Intel as an
internal adapter.
After installing FW-1 I have found that the names of the two adapter
were exchanged.
So, now when i use the IPCONFIG /ALL command i find that the name of my
fisrt adapter is still AMDPCN1 but with all the properties of the
EtherExpress (description, mac-address, IP Add. ecc.), and the same is
for the second adapter.
Instead if I check the configuration from the Network Properties panel
it's all right.

Does anyone know where the problem is ?

--
Riccardo Fontana
Intesis SECURITY LAB            Phone: +39-2-671563.1