Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet and Transparency questions

From: "David T. Smith" <dsmith () usweb com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:22:03 -0500

Steve George queries:

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is true that transparency in Gauntlet only works
when the firewall is on the same
subnet as the clients?  In other words if I have a trusted network which
is down the other end of an internal leased line, and hence on a different
subnet, that transparency will not work?

I have multiple subnets at a client site and transparency _does_ work.  It
is important
your internal routers use the firewall as their default gateway (gateway of
last resort) in order to get the packets to Gauntlet.

D A V I D   T.  S M I T H
Network Solutions
USWeb Corporation: <http://www.usweb.com/>
50 Washington Street, 6th Flr
South Norwalk, CT 06854
ph:  203 857 0080
fax:  203 857 0082
mailto:dsmith () usweb com
USWeb - A Strategic Partner for the Information Age