Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Lloyds to offer hacker insurance

From: "Massimo Brogioni" <brogio () cybermarket it>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:49:52 +0000

all at once. I don't see how Lloyds can calculate the odds of loss
from an exposure they don't even know exists. At least we're pretty

(...)

Never underestimate statistics!   ;-)

What we are really talking about here is a lack of actuarial data in
regards to computer security (break-in stats).  What we are lacking is the data
that says "if you employ security technique X - your risk of breach is Y".

The problem is not the lacking of statistics, but the floating of
this statistics!

As soon a new bug is known and the exploit is released the
probability of a break-in is very high, but this probability will
become low as soon the patch is released.

Would we see Lloyds change its premiums few times in a week ?

                                    Ciao

                                    MB-)
--

   "So you think you can tell heaven from hell, blue skies from pain..."

   Cybermarket SysAdmin              Home Page: www.brogio.cybermarket.it