Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: non-IP firewalls

From: Mark Plesser <plesser () ms com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 13:09:52 -0400 (EDT)

It only runs on NT, I hear. :(

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:33:34 +0200
From: Bernhard Schneck <Bernhard_Schneck () genua de>
To: -= ArkanoiD =- <ark () mpak convey ru>
Cc: firewall-wizards () nfr net
Subject: Re: non-IP firewalls

In message <AAzPxHryV7 () mpak convey ru> you write:
 > Some people ask me if i can let ipx through firewalls i build - i answer no
 > just because i can't filter and monitor it properly and thus it will break t
 >-he
 > security policy..

There's a package called Firewall/Plus which claims to be able to
filter lots of different protocols (I think they claimed about 600),
includung IPX, SNA and others.

From what I read about it, it seems to be a packet filter starting
at the MAC layer and working it's way up through the ethernet frame.

I've never used or evaluated it yet, though.  If someone (independent
from the vendor, with a reputable name in the field :-) has, I'd sure
like to hear about her/his results.

\Bernhard.

Mark Plesser
Morgan Stanley & Co.        (212) 762-1990
750 7th Avenue, 9th Floor, New York, NY  10019