Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newbie question - IP routing through a firewall

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 23:04:05 -0400

Asier Azaceta wrote:

Hello,
this is the first time I write to this list. I know this question may look
pretty stupid, but I won't be rest in peace until I know the right answer.

The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked. ;)

I've read you shouldn't have IP Routing enabled in the firewall, that's
fine, but my question is: Should the router pass all the traffic to the
firewall? I mean, should it have a route like 'internal-network gw
firewall'?

The router should have a number of route entries:
a default route that points all traffic to an unknown destination out towards
your ISP
a route entry for each subnet on your network that points to the firewall as
the gateway

Cheers,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0782120822/0740-8883012-887529

Support the anti-spam movement: http://www.cauce.org/