Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS -vs- the firewall: security thoughts

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:39:34 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Bennett Todd wrote:

I'm currently contemplating a serious redesign, doing away with DNS from
the internet altogether. We use _nothing_ but non-transparent proxies on
the firewall, so I can't see any good reason why end-user workstations
should need to be able to resolve internet hostnames. I'd really love to
chop that off altogether; people are getting cleverer about using
bizarrely-corrupted DNS data to burgle systems.

I've always been fond of creating my own "internal only" TLDs, it makes it
pretty easy to keep the wandering laptops from pointing at useful hosts,
makes it simple to seperate an internal from an external resource at a
glance, and keeps the users thoroughly confused ;)

Blocking external resolution would be a logical step, especially if you're
worried about the DNS being used as an information channel.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280