Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Packets.

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

But it also has been helpful in blocking some of these more recent
attacks as well.

Which "some of these more recent attacks" would those be?

Smurf and its ilk would proabably top the list.

I run ICMP internally and also think it should be run externally, I
just don't think they should be mixed.

IP is an end to end protocol. ICMP is an integral part of IP. If you
allow IP through a network device, you have to allow ICMP to follow
it.

No, you don't *have* to allow ICMP, it depends on what traffic is
necessary, and where things are going on.  TCP path MTU discovery depends
totally on the MTUs of your network topology.  Unreachables depend on
your and the remote end's tolerance for retrys.

It is perfectly possible to block ICMP, it just has ramifications that
most folks don't think about.  Application layer gateways can help limit
the scope of where you allow ICMP if your topology or tolerances need
some part of it to function, but it's also possible to block it for
entire AS'.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280