Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:29:16 -0700

I was interested in the techincal problems.  I well aware of
the policy issues surrounding visitors using corporate nets
to tunnel out.  It's not allowed at my site.  I repeatedly warn my
users about doing it at other sites without checking with
them first.  Anyone who has Sybase sales or professional
services visitors, and wants to forbid this at their site, let
me know :)

               Ryan

This is a policy problem first and a technology problem second. The visitor
is trying to treat the hosting site like an ISP, and that's not always
appropriate. The host site might not want an outsider generating encrypted
data streams inside their network and shooting them through the door at
high speed.

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com