Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: "Rick Horne" <rick_horne () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:21:36 PDT

Hello,
        I'm looking for information on the best way to allow our web server to
access an internal database.  We are beginning an Internet commerce
site.  I've heard of several techniques:
1) The web server has wrapper/stub cgi programs that call cgi routines
on a second external box that has permission to cross the firewall
(a.k.a. a cgi reflector)
2) Move the web server inside and proxy it out to the Internet.
3) Export database to external server and allow web server to hit that
db.

I know that many thousands of companies are doing commerce but I've been
unable to find a best practices document or other such info.

Thanks in advance for any comments, info, or pointers to where I can
find some info.

Rick