Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: switches in a fw environment

From: Gerhard Mezger <Gerhard.Mezger () mail inuco ch>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 00:03:24 +0000

I understand and agree with your technical concerns. And as somebody
else pointed out using switches the way I described would certainly
violate our security policy. So, from a security perspective this should
definitely be a no-go.
Given your arguments and the fact that security isn't a main design
criterion when building switches how comes that there are only a few
(??) known security breaches? (The one you mentioned is the only one I
am aware of).

cheers
Gerhard Mezger

Mark Coleman wrote
 My opinion was this: the
...this puts you at the mercy of trusting the
switch manufacturer's code to prevent someone from getting in and
joining up the VLANs thus bypassing the firewall altogether.  Not just
via management but also through back doors and manufacturer-specific
exploits in the operating code.  (Remember those default passwords in
the ROMs of the other vendors switches?)  My opinion: don't do it.

Also remember that it is known that you can get around the layer 2
segragation by flooding a switch's tables forcing it into a "forwarding
mode" that starts passing all data everywhere.  Just get an independant
switch or a standalone hub for your DMZ.