Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Best Practice for preparing an NT box for firewall-1 installation

From: James Fifield <fifield () cs dal ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:52:36 -0300 (ADT)

A web search should turn up a plethora of information.  Two papers I have
in front of me may be of interest to you, (you can find them online):
- "Windows NT Security Guidelines" by Steve Sutton
- "The Hardening of Microsoft Windows NT" by Michael Espinola Jr.

Books:
There are a couple books that I've found are somewhat well known, your
mileage may vary:
- Windows NT Security Guide
          Sutton, S.A.
          ISBN: 0201419696
          Jan / 1997
- Windows NT Security Handbook
          Sheldon, T
          ISBN: 0078822408
          Sept / 1997

Other references:
- Microsoft has a white paper on securing NT, should be on
  http://www.microsoft.com/security/ somewhere.
- Mailing lists, such as ntsecurity would be a great place to ask such
  questions.

I don't think this is exactly appropriate for firewall-wizards, but the
charter says "security related" so I've Cc'd firewall-wizards anyway.  I
wish I had more time to remember more resources for you, but I hope this
little bit helps. :)