Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: a long response to a Short note on new Laws

From: Eric Budke <budke () budke com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 15:20:37 -0400

At 10:47 PM 7/8/97 +0000, Technical Incursion Countermeasures wrote:
In short the law will allow 'recognised professionals' to carry the tools -
but allow the 'data cops' to arrest people suspected of committing a crime
on the basis that they are carrying 'illegal tools' . Jus tthe same as a
locksmith is allowed to carry lock picks, but a burglar is not..

Cheers,

bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures

The small problem is that the line of when you are a locksmith and burglar
become blurred in this business.  Who when doing an internet job has hit
only upon the client and no other machines.  Granted there is a
get-out-of-jail-free card from the client, but, you are still hitting these
other people w/o their consent.  And it often takes getting in before you
can determine its owner.

We have clients flat out deny stuff is theirs at first glance, but give
them a few days to research it, and they come back with their tail between
their legs.  To do a thorough job, you can't go solely on what info the
client gives you.  I guess we are left hoping the legal department is ready
in case one of these non-clients is hit accidentally.