Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy 2.0 secure? (AG vs. SPF)

From: Marc Heuse <Marc.Heuse () mail deuba com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:35:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

This issue is that fragmentation reassembly is done differently in
different stacks, so your SPF would have to know how a particular host
reassembles fragments before it could protect that host if it isn't
doing frag reassembly itself (see my earlier comment on this).  Of
course, if it is reassembling fragments, it has to do it one way, so
non-malicious fragments could break for some instances.

AGs always rebuild frags in one way, correct?

correct

They don't have to know about each inside stack, correct?

wrong. They should know each inside stack, because a HP Printer may handle
fragments, tcp options etc. differently than a NT 3.51 machine or a Linux box.
Take a look at the SNI Paper about IDS' , there you can read how they act
differently on behalf of fragment ages (favors newest/oldest fragment ...)
Your Sun FW-1 may know the correct handling from the RFC's but not all
internal machines may know these too.
And this is bad for security.

Then SPFs just need to have the same behaviour.

this is not possible, see above

If rebuilding frags in a particular way can take out some inside host,
the AGs suffer the same, correct?

I'd like to see the firewall going down by a DOS attack, so I know who's
to blame and the vendor will fix it within the next day.
If the computer of a manager or his secretary or an important internal
server crashs I'm in deep trouble ("Why did our firewall did not protect
us ??"), and it will take longer until I get a fix (from m$ ?  *sigh*)

Yup.  An excellent HTTP proxy doesn't help all that much if
you need to pass 100 other protocols, and you end up having
to packet filter on the AG gateway.  At that point you'd probably
want an SPF for that.

right, thats one of the few purposes I see for a SPF, get protocols using
UDP and unsocksified network software, which don't have got a proxy,
through.

Yes, they suck.  Well, to be fair, I only have personal knowledge of
FW-1 sucking.  I don't know enough about PIX except aparantly
their VPN sucks.  I don't know if the Linux SPF-like packages
suck, but if it's discovered that they do, I assume it will be fixed within
a day or two.

it should be noted that there is too the ip-filter package by Darren Reed,
which is a SPF for *BSD, Sun, Linux and Irix ... and it's free
http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
                                Marc Heuse

This message and any statements expressed therein are those of myself
and not of the Deutsche Bank AG or its subsidiary companies.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  2048/DB5C03C5 1997/09/23 Marc Heuse <marc.heuse () mail deuba com>