Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Short note on new Laws

From: ICMan <shane () tor securecomputing com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 19:22:39 -0400

Looking over the bill, it does appear at first glance that security tools
and such would be suspect.  However, I thought I saw a clause about the
limitation of liability if the manufacture, use, blah, blah of such
technology was required for livelihood.  Also, the manufacture of such
products, if used personally, and only for the purposes of working
contracts where the data owner (Copyright Holder) has requested the service
and is willing to pay for said service should provide a legal loophole big
enough to drive a truck through.  If you make the tool yourself, and only
use it on people who request the service, then the tool is not for
circumventing copy protection.  There is no copy protection on information
you have been asked to copy.

Also, only cryptanalysis tools seem to fit the category.  A hacking tool is
for liberating information that is on public sites.  Although the
information there is protected, it is not COPY protected per se.  A
different set of rules should apply with scanning tools.  (Although a good
prosecutor may be able to make this rule stick.  You'd need a good defense
attourny.)

The biggest problem of this bill is that it does not take into account
tools created for the express purpose of TESTING copy protection
technology.  Are they restricted?  They amount to the same thing.  Perhaps
this is the loophole.  "Er... your Honour, the tool in question was NOT
made for the purpose of circumventing copy protection technology, it was
made to test the effectiveness of such technology.  Yeah, and I would like
to call my first witness... my wife.  Morgan Fairchild.  Yeah."

The legal system may eventually figure out how to make all this stuff work,
but there will be many Kevin Mitnick's before the dust settles.

ICMan