Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web search engines / robots / spiders?

From: Neil Ratzlaff <Neil.Ratzlaff () ucop edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:55:24 -0700

You might look at Verity (<http://www.verity.com/>www.verity.com).  When I
looked at it, I got the impression that you could set any boundaries you
wanted
to specify the hosts to search.

Neil

At 14:06 07/17/98 -0400, Joseph S. D. Yao wrote:
We're looking to get some kind of a Web search engine that would walk
our intranet/extranet/whatever inside its firewall boundaries, ignoring
that Internet stuff outside the firewalls, and give us a way to search
the whole intra-web from one place.  I had thought there were several
announced products out there - Alta Vista, Excite, whatever.  Strangely,
the only one we can find anything on is Alta Vista, and there is more
info outside of DEC than in.  I also found references to an Open Source
package called web-search, which sure sounds like it might be something
like what we're looking for.  [Searching for a downloadable copy on
sunsite as I write.]

Does anybody have any suggestions / pointers / warnings of doom?

Thanks.

--
Joe Yao jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support EMT-A/B