Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High availability firewalls

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:00:29 -0500 (EST)

You forgot the crossover links.  Each firewall machine has 2 network
interfaces per side (inside, outside, dmzside(?).)  One interface on a
side plugs into either hub, thus we get a crossbar architecture.

It might also be worth looking at using a non star implementation,
such as thinnet, to remove the hubs from the picture.  Always struck
me as a simpler solution, but couldn't sell my customers at the time
on it.  You do have the possibility of a transciever failure, but
since those tend to be line powered, there is a lower chance of
failure.

Adam

Jyri Kaljundi wrote:

| So this seems more reliable: