Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

R: Teaching Firewalls (was: Firewall for Pedagogical Purposes)

From: "Franco RUGGIERI" <fruggieri () selfin net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:05:04 +0100

My very humble 2 cents suggestion.

How about taking Chapman's and Zwickly's "Building Internet Firewalls" as
the course guideline, implementing it by just bringing its content up to
date (it's nearly three years old, which means ages, in the Web world)?

It explains first what are the security risks of the several protocols,
then it goes ahead by presenting a few possible firewalls architectures and
by going deep in why and how and what to filter out, finally it gives
suggestions on how to set up a firewalling environment, giving the basics
on what are the emergency procedures to set in place.

I must admit it: I'm in love with this book!

So much for the theoretical side of the class. For the practical one I
can't help, but even if I could I wouldn't dare, given the level of the
participants on the list.

Franco RUGGIERI
fruggieri () selfin net