Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Policy methodologies

From: Anton J Aylward <anton () the-wire com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 16:52:17 -0500

At 08:09 AM 06/01/98 -0800, Larry J. Hughes Jr. wrote:

Second, there are many pointy-hairs around who will misuse the statistics.
"What? Only a 0.01 percent chance of email being snooped?  That doesn't
justify spending $X per seat to implement PGP companywide.  Think of the
money we'll save that our competitors will spend.  That gives us a real
competitive edge."

Do you remember the Two Men and The Bear story?
You don't have to run faster than the bear, only faster
than the other guy.

So the hackers say "Oh, he's using PGP, lets find an easier target".
The 0.01% has just turned into a 98.4%.

How's that for a competitive edge?

/anton

Anton J Aylward          | "Quality refers to the extent to which
System Integrity         | processes, products, services, and
InfoSec Consulting       | relationships are free from defects,
Voice: (416) 421-8182    | constraints and items which do not add
  Fax: (416) 421-8183    | value." - Dr. Mildred G Pryor, 1995