Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off Topic: Disk Encryption

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 03:38:13 -0500 (EST)

        Given the recent work by Peter Guttmann on MS crypto, I'm
curious if anyone has looked at these products from a crypto solidity
point of view?  Do they resist weak passwords being entered?  Do they
solidly hash the password into a key, or use it raw?  Do they leak key
bits into the file datastream?  Offer a known plaintext header?  Does
it encrypt my file to the same ciphertext each time, or does it use an
IV?  Does it use CFB mode, or ECB mode ciphers?  Does it scrub the
memory it used for keys when its done with them?

        Bruce Schneier gave a talk at RSA98 called Common Pitfalls of
cryptography, Paul Kocher gave one as well.  Any system is breakable
given enough time.  Many of the mistakes above make 'enough time' into
a small number.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume