Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ports and privileges

From: Bret McDanel <bret () rehost com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:49:37 -0500

Correct me if I am wrong (hey someone surly will :)
but isnt nfs (port 2049) udp only?  So wouldnt tcp to port 2049be a non
issue?

As for changing the port access on solaris:
/usr/sbin/ndd /dev/tcp tcp_smallest_nonpriv_port <first nonpriv port>
/usr/sbin/ndd /dev/udp udp_smallest_nonpriv_port <first nonpriv port>

---Reply on mail from Vinci Chou about Ports and privileges

I am very interested to know what OS(s) allow the range of privileged ports
configurable and how.

I have a question which I got no answer from the Firewalls mailing list (not
FW-wizard) and the above seems to be the solution to my problem.  My question
was, when the firewall initiate an HTTP connection, it used a random
non-privileged port.  And occasionally, this port number happens to be 2049,
and
when the reply packets come back, they are blocked by my router.  I don't feel
like allowing packets with ACK bits to port 2049.  So I would like to know if
there is any way to prevent the firewall from using 2049 as the random port
(similarly for other dangerous high port numbers).

Thanks,
Vinci.

tqbf () secnet com wrote:

        - Some operating systems already allow you to effectively do
          this by making the range of privileged ports configurable.

---End reply
--
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer