Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: GNAT Box

From: David Barth <dbarth () technologia ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:00:54 -0500

We've been using the GNAT Box for about 8 months now. (We also happen to
sell this product, so forgive a somewhat biased opinion ;-)

It's not Linux. It looks more like FreeBSD at startup.
When evaluating the GNAT Box, I was very pleased with its PPTP support.
Linux was lagging in this area (now it's fixed, thanks to J.Hardin)
You can administer it from any web client. Perhaps the current version
lacks HTTPS support for remote administration. But it makes the GNATBox
exportable in all countries without hassle.

It's ICSA certified. Linux is gaining popularity in the enterprise
market, but it has not yet a reputation in network security. Don't flame
me: I've been using Linux since 0.99pl14 and smile at every NT box I
can kick out. But it is hard to sell Linux standalone as a firewall.

It's simple and does the job. You don't have to secure the operating
system to begin then install the firewall software, then add tools for
remote administration.
You only need a floppy disk to save configuration files (and load the OS
at startup). A 386/8Mo is sufficient to filter half a T1. A 486/16 with
good ethernet cards can handle a T1.

It has some form of statefull inspection engine, but I don't have much
details on that.

We've received regular updates. Now the GNATBox can even act as a small
RIP router, send email alerts or do URL filtering.

In summary, it is a simple, stable, efficient solution. And the cost is
not high when you compare it to NT/Solaris + FW-1 with unlimited
license.

Hope this helps
--
David Barth - Technologia Conseil - Tel: (514) 990-7041