Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Ports 256,257,258 open on FW-1

From: "Bruce B. Platt" <bbp () comport com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:50:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-firewall-wizards () nfr net [mailto:owner-firewall-wizards () nfr net]
On Behalf Of jgalvin () cs loyola edu
Sent:   Sunday, December 20, 1998 3:22 PM
To:     firewall-wizards () nfr net
Subject:        Re: Ports 256,257,258 open on FW-1

As for me, I thought the Diligence advisory was great.  A major problem
with  most firewall product marketing is
the assertion by the producers that their software is easy to use and
configure, and works "right-out-of-the-box".

        Well, if that advisory was correct, then I am really looking
        forward to the next advisory concerning the entire operating
        system NT and all its default settings when it comes out-of-box.
Me to!

        I don't believe Checkpoint advertises Firewall-1 to be out of box.
        Not to mention the fact that there are lots of links on their
        site that point to training and resources.
I wasn't picking on them, particularly, most of the vendors imply ease of
setup and use.

Now, Checkpoint has a "certification" program for training administrators
... which some other vendors don't.  But I'm delighted to see anything
which raises public awareness about the difficulties of fw configuration,
installation, maintenance, and monitoring.

        Well, in my opinion, Checkpoint Firewall-1 is one of the easiest
        solutions to manage, but it certainly does take training to do it.
        What would really be nice is if "IT professionals" would realize
        that putting a firewall in front of their entire LAN is not going
        to be an easy task.

        If I were to put up a dam somewhere on the
        Missippi, you'd better believe that it would take more than myself
        and a few engineering manuals to do it ;-)
And, that's what I wanted to emphasize.  That the business we have an
interest in, firewalls and security is best done with the advice of
professionals.

Happy Holidays to you, and all on the list!

Regards,

Bruce

Regards,
Jenn